Wednesday, February 28, 2007

gnidrolog prog y rubes merdum



Back in the 70s when I was trying to make music rather than play it our drummer's brother used to hang around a progressive group called Gnidrolog. I've just had one of those random moments when I remember bits from my fascinating past - this is far from fascinating.

So I checked 'em out on the Internet and got well scared.

These awful groups, playing unaccessible music with a degree of seriousness that should NEVER infect music, held the yout' in sway in the early 70s. As the music got worse their hair got longer and despair stalked the land. It was like pop's version of Thatcherism. These middle-class tossers piled on the pounds and the dandruff as their bank accounts bulged. The albums got bigger and worse and a sad nation weeped. And then along came the Sex Pistols and blew it all away in the wonderful summer of 1976. Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis - they all died. Suddenly music opened up again, it was cool to like bands again, and we shook off the cobwebs.

I took my awful record collection to Littlehampton beach and threw the lot - every last one - into the sea, and started again. I discovered soul and jazz, then got into The Specials and Joy Division, they started dance music again via New Order and Manchester Rave, and then it was suddenly viable to be a DJ again.

Gnidrolog. Oh dear ...

No comments: