Tuesday, November 14, 2006

set fire to all the bars except the louisiana

"Pickin up the pieces
Of the wreck you went and left
And I'm dealing with dilemmas
In my not-so-stressful life
And I'm drinking stronger spirits
I made my home here on the floor
And I'm losing all ambition
I'm a ghost"


Paolo Nutini 2006

There's nothing Brassey hates more than some miserable bastard crooning about Image Hosted by ImageShack.ussome misfortune in a song. In the car today we heard some Paolo Nutini lyrics and were just about ready to slit out throats. Don't get me wrong. I know he's a beautiful guitarist and he is very popular (ummm amongst grannies maybe?)
Maybe it's because I've listened to my fair share of rock bottom lyrics when I was rock bottom. I cried a million tears to some lyric that dragged me from sinking to sunk. And at times there were a place for them. Sometimes they were like a comforting arm around me. Because they seemed to understand where so many humans didn't.
However I am very pleased to see Snow Patrol and Martha Wainwright's collaboration "Set Fire To The Third Bar" on the Radio One playlist.
I can't actually tell you why this song which, on surface level, seems just as sad as Nutini's effort, really pleases me.
Maybe it is the collaboration. Martha Wainwright who is Rufus's very talented sister deserves more recognition than she gets. Though she has a huge following including my very good friend Jude.
The track is gentle and pretty but builds and their voices match perfectly. You really can believe they're in love. Maybe we all need a love song now and then... fuck off Robbie Williams with his Angels crap. Love songs should be about love.

"After I have travelled so far
We'd set the fire to the third bar
We'd share each other like an island
Until exhausted, close our eyelids
And dreaming, pick up from
The last place we left off
Your soft skin is weeping
A joy you can't keep in

I'm miles from where you are,
I lay down on the cold ground
And I, I pray that something picks me up
and sets me down in your warm arms"

Snow Patrol ft Martha Wainwright 2006
Hmmm maybe I'm getting soft. It's all Brassey's fault. I do love him.
:)

No comments: