Thursday, October 19, 2006

shut the god damn door

"A world that sends you reeling
from decimated dreams.
Your misery and hate will kill us all.
So paint it black and take it back,
lets shout it loud and clear.
Do you fight it to the end, we hear the call"

My Chemical Romance 2006
clever my chemical romance
My Chemical Romance. I knew they had a huge following...here and in the States? When we visited Manchester last and spent hours trailing round the wonderful little areas of Afflecks Palace,there was a massive amount of MCR clothing. I have to admit that until this new single 'Welcome To The Black Parade', hit number one, I'd never heard a MCR track. Why? Well don't mistake me. I see a lot of talent and raw energy in bands like Green Day, Good Charlotte and Blink 182. We even have lots of their albums. But they're an acquired taste. Dare I say they're bands that once struck a mark for new music but now seem so old? I guess I used to like them because they were FUN. Then maybe the fun ended? I still hold huge respect for Green Day and remember a fantastic warm afternoon in their company in Coopers Field Cardiff.
So My Chemical Romance have hit our number one slot. An Unusual track. Starts off with a story. Then hits the music..... Ok so far. Catchy, growing on me. Then the end bit. I still can't decide what to make of it. But I've been to see Les Miserable at the theatre and the end bit sounds like the song that ends act one. The track actually has all the marks of a track I'd like. It's not samey. It has different tempos and audible instruments. It's fun and got energy and it's a bit different. I think it'll grow. By the time it's ended it's popularity it'll be my favourite track. Sigh... It's hard being me.
So swiftly to my recommendation of the week. Look at MCR and then look at Panic at the disco. Similar? I expect the hardened fans would lynch me. But the genre is the same. Last year PATD released 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' It had some air play from DJ's like Jo Whiley and Zane Lowe. It took several listens but right from the first string it's absolutely brilliant. I could listen to it all day and wouldn't tire of it.
But last year PATD weren't main stream and the track sunk. So Oct 30th they're doing a re release. Good luck guys. If MCR an do it with 'Welcome To The Black Parade' you CERTAINLY can.
the wonderful Panic At The Disco
"I'd chime in, "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a goddamn door?!"
No, it's much better to face these kinds of things with a sense of poise and rationality".

Panic At The Disco 2005

No comments: