Saturday, August 19, 2006

festival of wick.... nah V

Me and Brassey love each other. Well whatever feeling that word evokes anyways. We have an understanding. We like each others company. We respect each other.
But when we first met, and the first time he met my iPod, he had words to say about Image Hosted by ImageShack.usthe music on it. My ipod tends to be full of stuff that makes me feel good at this particular moment.
Some of it is pretty dire... Come on I have the soundtrack to 'A Star is Born on it'. But it means something to me. It evokes a strong response, either makes me emotional or happy or angry even. When I need to revisit these emotions I play the tracks.
I was a bit put out by his comments. He laughed that I lived in the past. Nowadays I'd never take offence at him. I'd debate and it would be fun. It's important to have music from the past but it's even more important to move forward and listen to what's being said today. Because some of this stuff is fucking good.
V festival is on TV. It's my attempt to hide the shame I'm not actually there. I went to Reading four years ago and it was worth the hour it took to walk there from the car park, worth the hideous toilets and worth the soaking I got from the English bloody weather.
It has given me more to remember, talk about and think about than any gig. If you get a chance for one of these festivals bloody get and go. Do it.
I saw the White Stripes before they hit it big, Weezer, Janes addiction, The Strokes, Feeder and so much more. I bought a German army jacket from the surplus store and wore it with pride. I sat in a huge field at night with hundreds of small bonfires to keep us warm.
Maybe it wasn't as good as I remember, maybe at the time it was cold and miserable.... But I just remember the atmosphere and the crowd and the music. Yes, the music.
Pulsating across the fields, permeating every single ear. The crowd at fever pitch. All moving in one huge bounce and all in slow motion.
Hmmm maybe I was on something?
V is on E4. Bloc Party are on. I remember the NME front page proclaiming them the saviours of Indie Rock. I turned to the guy next to me reading some fishing magazine and said "saviour's of Indie? I think not" he moved away pretty quickly.
Bloc Party do nothing for me. Never have done. They are tight and edgy and professional but dull.
I watched Xavier Rudd earlier. They showed him doing three tracks. He's little known but has a huge underground following and comes from Canada / Australia... Which figures seeing they are so close together.
I didn't expect to like him at all. One man band with diggery-doo's and harmonica and chimes. But I really liked him. I liked him enough to want to hear more.
Hey, isn't that what music festivals are all about? You hear something new and different and check it out after?
Then you get the band on last. The one you worship and will stand in a field without peeing for 12 hours to watch. Make me 18 again. But 18 and a head for wanting to listen to new stuff, and not just bloody Spandau Ballet.
Shit Girls Aloud are on now. Time to feed the cats.

My favourite lyric today

"Tearin' off tights with my teeth
But there's no relief, I'm wide awake"

Faithless Insomnia (1997)

No comments: